UQTR – AQUATIC ECOLOGY LABORATORYPierre Bertrand
|Location:||Trois-Rivières, Québec, CANADA|
|Contact:||Hélène Glément, Ph.D.|
|Laboratory name:||AQUATIC ECOLOGY LABORATORY|
|Water temperature:||5° to 25° C|
|Number of REBF systems:||6|
|Type of rearing units:||
|% water recycling:||99.9% flow|
|Mandate:||Conception, fabrication, installation, commissioning, training|
- Six Water Recirculation Modules with Bio-Filtration (REBF) each having their control and monitoring unit. REBF systems recirculate water up to 99.9% of flow.
- Aquanit Trickling Biofilters self-cleaning biological filters are inoculated with freshwater nitrifying bacteria prior to delivery. These biofilters work in fresh, brackish or saline water when inoculated with the appropriate bacterial strains.
- Each filtration module is connected to a series of tanks and uses the full height of the room (3.6 m) taking into account lower sections.
- The incubation unit consists of 10 vertical incubators (to fluidize the eggs for the incubation of the whitefish eggs) and a trough with four incubation baskets (for the incubation of salmonid eggs).
- Two mixed units (larval and nursery) comprise, respectively, 8 tanks of 188 L supported by a fiberglass structure (four basins for larval rearing and four basins for juveniles). A mobile platform provides access to the upper pools.
- The 188 L tanks for larval rearing are adapted to maintain embryos of larval and pelagic species in suspension for optimal survival.
- Research Units 1 and 2 each comprise 6 Swedish tanks of 400 liters.
- The spawning unit consists of four 900-liter circular tanks, two of which can be used in an open circuit and serve as a quarantine.
- Systems can be dismantled to clean and sterilize water pipes.
- The pump and filtration module allow a renewal of 3 times the volume of water in the tanks per hour.
- The recirculation pump has a magnetic drive for a particularly quiet operation.
- A countercurrent oxygen saturator, for each of the filtration modules, allows a rapid diffusion of oxygen in the recirculated water. An oxygen concentrator provides air enriched with 95% oxygen.
- A faeces trap from the tanks (except for incubators) and a cartridge filter (16 micron filtration) allow the extraction of all organic matter (faeces and non-ingested foods).
- A compact titanium heat exchanger and a titanium water heater make it possible to control the water temperature (5 to 25 °C ± 0.5 °C).
- A set of mechanical elements of high quality (pressure valve, oxygen injection from the tanks, floats for the water level) and electronic (pH probe, oxygen sensor, temperature probe) allow to remotely monitor, control and trigger alarms.
- A tank with an agitator located on the same floor as the water reserve, contains the carbonate solution to automatically adjust the pH of the recirculation units.
- The various REBF units are assembled and tested at our factory prior to shipment and are assembled by our staff at your premises.