UQAR – TWO SIX-PACK UNITStony
|Université du Québec à Rimouski|
|Rimouski, Québec, CANADA|
Type of rearing unit:
|TWO SIX-PACK UNITS FOR SCALLOPS STUDIES|
- Six aquariums operating independently of each other and having their own system of Water Recirculation with Bio-Filtration (REBF).
- REBF modules recycle water up to 99.9% of flow. However, at low temperatures, the only makeup water allowed will be to compensate for evaporation (recirculation greater than 99.9%);
- Each aquarium is composed of:
– a rectangular molded fiberglass basin with a capacity of 30 liters,
– a physical / biological filtration system,
– a thermal control,
– 1.5 ” thick insulation.
- The aquariums are joined in pairs and inserted into a rectangular fiberglass tank. Insulation with a minimum thickness of 4 cm is inserted between the aquarium and the external tank.
- The physical / biological filtration system is composed (for each aquarium):
– a recirculation pump,
– a filtering foam (250 μm),
– a filter cartridge (50 μm) installed at the suction of the pump,
– a filter cartridge (20 μm) installed at the discharge of the pump,
– a submerged biofilter comprising a ceramic support and charcoal.
– a foamer whose circulation of water is independent of the recirculation pump.
- Thermal control is composed of:
– a thermoelectric module per aquarium,
– a thermal probe by aquarium,
– an electronic controller (Enviro-monitron).
-A central glycol cooling system (circulating pump, flow meter, radiator and glycol tank). This system is used to cool the thermoelectric modules.
- In order to optimize the working space, the aquariums are arranged in pairs on three levels of work (61 cm wide x 122 cm long x 218 cm high). This four-level structure is entirely made of fiberglass and plastic. The upper stage supports the glycol cooling system.
- Three plumbing circuits are present on the fiberglass structure. The first allows the glycol to circulate between the upper fan and the thermoelectric modules. The second makes it possible to bring the make-up water to each of the aquariums (1 1/4 turn valve at each of the six aquariums). Finally, the third provides the air necessary to operate the aerator and to bubble directly into the aquarium (2 1/4 turn valves to each of the six aquariums). It should be noted that the user of the six pack must himself connect water and air to the two plumbing circuits installed on the structure.
- All electrical equipment (fans, pumps, thermoelectric modules, luminaires) operates on 12 VDC. A 115 – 220 VAC / 12VDC transformer, providing the necessary amperage (50A), is the only device that needs to be plugged into the 115 Volt outlet. From this outlet, a power cord allows the operator to connect the unit to the power grid. Quick-plug 12VDC connectors are used to power each of the aquariums, both for the luminaires and for the water recirculation system.
- A removable panel located at the rear of the aquarium gives access to the recirculation pump and the thermoelectric module. On this panel are positioned an on / off switch and a hot / cold selector. The switch is used to start the recirculation pump and the thermoelectric module, while the selector is used to select the operating mode of the thermoelectric module.
- A purge valve located at the rear of the aquarium allows to completely empty it.