UNBSJ – Flume for marine ecology studiestony
|University of New-Brunswick in Saint-John|
|Saint-John, New-Brunswick, CANADA|
|Dr. Heather HUNT|
Type of rearing unit:
|Flume for marine ecology studies with velocity control & monitoring|
- The Benthic Flume design is based upon information provided from Dr. Hunt ;
- Flume is made of acrylic with the following dimensions : 50 cm deep, 50 cm wide, 732 cm long ;
- The flume rests on a seawater resistant fibreglass frame and contains sedimentation box and collimator to dampen cross-stream circulation.
- Stands (46 cm x 732 cm) are made of high-strength Fibreglass and plastic beams that give strength-600 lbs per shelf (275kg). They can be entirely dismantled and moved by one adult.
- Water current within flume is driven by one variable speed electric drive 1 HP motor with speed controller, shaft and propeller. Water returned through a 12” pipe ;
- Flow for the heat exchangers at a maximum of 79 litres/min (1.5 water exchanges per hour). This centrifugal pump offer advanced engineering that includes suitability for use in marine or freshwater. The epoxy filled, hermetically sealed low energy consumption motors result in silent, efficient and durable operation while surpassing the highest safety standards;
- Water quality control module includes only chiller and titanium heat exchanger;
- Water temperature is maintained down to 10°C with air-cooled Chiller controlled by electronic thermostat (±1°C) .